1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 large or 2 medium onions, sliced
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 Tbsp flour
¼ cup ice or cold water
2 lbs or 1 recipe pizza dough
¼ cup butter or oil
· Saute cabbage, onions, and beef together, browning the beef at the end.
· Add the salt, pepper, flour, and ice cubes, let the mixture cool
· Divide the dough balls into thirds.
· Flatten or roll the dough into free-form circles
· Place 2/3 cup filling in the middle of the circles
· Gather the dough around the meat, being careful to seal the bottom of the krautburger.
· If there are any holes, patch them
· Using a knife, cut a slit in the top of each krautburger to let steam escape
· Brush the krautburgers with the butter or oil on top
· Place krautburgers on greased parchment paper and place in oven to bake
· After 25-30 minutes, krautburgers should be golden brown
· Remove them from oven
· Serve with gravy or serve plain
Homemade Pizza Dough (no knead)
4 cups flour
1¾ cups warm water
1 envelope (2¼ tsp) dry yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 Tablespoons olive oil
· Mix all ingredients together and place in an oiled bowl.
· Let the bowl sit at room temperature covered with oiled plastic wrap and a towel for 4 hours to all day.
· Refrigerate overnight.
· Pizza dough can be used after four hours and doubled in size.
· If necessary, add more flour to roll out pizza dough to desired shape.
Makes 2 -12 inch pizza dough balls