⅔ cup light olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
¼ cup ginger, ground
¼ cup garlic, smashed
½ tsp crushed red pepper
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
· Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
· Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, place them on a sheet tray, rub with salt and place on a cookie sheet coated with 1/2 cup olive oil, making sure to coat the cut sides of the eggplant. Bake until skin is wrinkled and cut side is brown and caramelized.
· Sauté the onions and ginger until soft. Add the garlic and sauté until translucent.
· Remove the skin from the eggplants and place into a food processor and purée; add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
· Taste for salt and pepper. Place in a shallow bowl and drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil on top.
· Serve with slices of French bread, pita bread, pita chips, or fresh vegetables.