Toad in the Hole
6 sausage links
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp salt
1. Mix the flour, milk, sage, salt, and eggs with a wire whisk until the lumps are out. Let the batter sit overnight. Take the batter out 30 minutes before baking to allow the batter to come to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the sausages into the popover pans diagonally and bake until sausages are mostly cooked. Pour ½ cup batter over the sausage and into each cup and evenly distribute the rest.
3. Wipe the top of the pan to remove drippings and place in the lower half of the hot oven with no rack above it to allow the popover to rise.
4. Do not open the oven door while the popovers are baking on the high heat.
5. After about 20 minutes, the popover should be puffed and browned. Change the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees and let bake for 15 minutes more until the popover is dry and crunchy.
6. Take the popovers out of the oven and poke a toothpick or fork in order to let steam escape. Popovers should stay puffed.
Serve with butter/jelly/or syrup, or eat as they are.